Squeeeee! As you can tell by the multiple explanation points in this post’s title, I am WAY stoked for the closest Esbat. I haven’t celebrated one in soooo long- I know, shame on me- and I’m even more because this Esbat falls upon a super lucky day:
Friday the thirteenth!
I know, I know. Lucky? More like most-likely-to-be-killed-by-a-serial-killer unlucky! It might surprise you to know that not all (or that many) cultures consider thirteen an unlucky number. Every culture has its own set of things deemed lucky/unlucky. For example, while buildings in the U.S might skip a thirteenth floor (though only through numbering), while in China buildings are more likely to skip the fourth floor because the Chinese word for four sounds very similar to their word for death. I used to be terrified of the number thirteen because of all the Western media that condemns it with horror movie themes and unlucky events that appear on the news. However, I dove into the history of thirteen and discovered that the number actually used to be considered very lucky. According to some, it was a number greatly connected to the Moon, lunar calendar, and femininity; huge parts of Wicca. So the fact that the most lunar-associated number, that ALSO corresponds with femininity, landing on a Friday (which is considered as a day connected to Venus/Freya/other Goddesses of the same nature) AND having a full moon?! if that’s not a hella positive and amazingly powerful sign from the universe, I don’t know what is.
If you want to learn more about the histories of Friday the thirteenth or why certain numbers are regarded as bad/good omens I seriously encourage you to read up on it. It’s such an interesting thing to explore!
So you know I am taking full advantage of this Esbat. Since I’ve already written a long intro, here is a simple list of things I’m going to do in preparation for this Friday:
1. Draw a relaxing bath before my shower, taking the time to put on a face and/or hair mask on, and think good thoughts.
2. Decorate my altar to correspond with the Esbat (i.e: symbols of love, romance, femininity, thirteen, positive changes, the moon, etc.).
3. Bake something with good, positive intent to make people smile, happy, and feel comforted; I have a bonfire to go to so I’ll be making Oreo muffins. Yum!
4. Wear an outfit that makes me with fabulous and that embraces my femininity. For me, that means flattery and comfy clothes, clean nails, shimmering makeup, and loooots of pastels. Yep, not a day for my badass purple lipstick haha.
5. Do a kind deed for Mother Earth: for example, a nature walk with a loved one where you pick up litter to dispose of, pruning and taking care of your garden/flowers, leaving excess animal-safe foods out for the little critters, putting up a birdfeeder/butterfly bath, trying to use as little electricity and gas as possible, etc, There’s an infinite amount of lovely things you can do for the environment!
6. Do something equally as loving for my marvelous human buddies! Write a random letter expressing your care for that person, leave sweet notes in public places, draw a picture for your little sister- once again, the possibilities are endless.
7. Give thanks to the Universe for the privilege, food, shelter, love, opportunities, kindness, and health that I have in my life. I’ll probably make a gigantic gratitude list.
8. Have a small offering to the Goddess(es)/Universe for being so darn wonderful and cool and for giving me life. I don’t do the typical cakes-and-mead thing normal Wiccans do. Instead, I like to fill a small, porcelain teacup with a little bit of milk, honey, and a small sugary treat and place it on my altar overnight. In the morning, I toss the food out the window and clean the cup for continued use.
9. Be extra aware of how I speak to, approach, and treat other living things- hopefully with love, kindness, and respect.
10. Read to my heart’s content, because I love myself and I love to read!
11. Spend time outside and outdoors.
12. Write down my current goals, hang ’em up, and focus on them. Full moons are a great time to focus on positive change and new things.
13. Celebrate! Woo!
Hey, thirteen also happens to be MY lucky number 😉